Oakwood Historical Society Centennial Project, 2006
Interviewed by Harry Ebeling; filmed on CD by Roy Flynn and Dick Robinson; transcribed by Harry Ebeling; additional interview help on some by Pam Houk
- 2/06 Mary (Lange) Hayes
Oakwood High School class of 1938; lived here since 1924; grew up on Harman Terrace; good stories about a few friends and grade and high school days; her brother's estate gave money for Lange School.
- 2/15/06 Edgar Herrman
Descendant of Henry Long; grew up here; attended Smith and Oakwood High School; good recollection about people and places; WW II experience; retired back here after a busy career; has done extensive Shroyer research.
- 3/31/06 Rodney Boren
Oakwood High School class of 1934; good story teller; lived on Runnymede since 1950s; good recollection about people and places; retired to Lincoln Park; children graduated from OHS; wife was a Polk.
- 8/25/06 Norman Mayne
His father started Dorothy Lane Market; adds good facts about store and other retailing; lives in Kettering where he raised family.
- 8/31/06 Mike Kelly
Former City Manager and head of Safety Department for 30 years; tells good stories about some of the issues between 1967-2000 including crime, zoning, land use; raised family here.
- 9/20/06 Bill Hager
Active Realtor and Oakwood historian; much of our research on East Oakwood comes from him; sponsor of Historic District and Historic Homestead registration; tells of getting the Homestead for us from Mrs. Romspert; interesting background, from one room school.
- 10/9/06 Jean Woodhull
Active in promoting gardens and parks; has lived here or near here since before WW II; promoter of Metro government.
- 10/9/06 Chris (Davis)Vradelis
Oakwood High School class of 1948; raised here with brothers who still live here; all had families who went through Oakwood schools; good recollections of people, teachers, and OHS, including Bess Hayner; real cheerleader for Oakwood.
- 10/23/06 Marjorie (Mack) Yowell
Oakwood High School graduate of 1942; descendant of the Longs; tells good stuff about the area and her familyÂ’s part of the Long estate; done a lot of research with her husband, Everett, who has been our head docent.
- 6/27/07 Marjorie Penn Burkhart
Interviews by Harry Ebeling
- 3/3/99 Bob Pool Interesting life-long resident of Oakwood; taught in high school; had public accounting career; grew up on Patterson Road; his mother operated the Old Barn Club; good on names/dates.
- 10/21/99 Charlotte Campbell
- 5/13/04 Robert B. Crew Went to Moraine Park School until 1928, then to Oakwood High School for final two years; good stories about Moraine; good recollection about places and some teachers; active until he died at 94 in 2006.
- 5/16/05 William Cromer Good background of Oakwood and house building in the 1920Â’s; moved away and came back to raise children here; good recollection of people and places.
Interview by Sharon Kilworth; transcribed by Harry Ebeling
- 3/4/83 John Fisher Tells about the Wonderly Farm and transition
The Far Hills Interviews
Interviews by Virginia Ronald & Bruce Ronald; transcribed by Harry Ebeling
- 8/7/82 Pete Riffle, Sr. Father-in-law of Sally Riffle who lives here; non-establishment guy who tells a good story about the turn of the century and some of the places in Oakwood.
- 8/3/82 Earl Storms Served on Council and the School Board, as did his father and brother; tells good stories.
- circa 1978 Bill Biddle Lived and worked here his whole life; lived through the Depression; repaired radios in his basement; early HAM operator; non-establishment type guy.
Interviews by Ed King
- 6/7/77 Herbert Whalen, Sr. Herb Whalen, Sr. was married to Adam SchantzÂ’s niece; he raised family here in Oakwood; went to U.D.; served as treasurer of the City; good story teller.
- 10/14/77 Carl Schultheis Local contractor who lived here and raised four children in Oakwood schools; a self-made man who tells a fascinating story of how he got started.
Interview by Joey Thiele, from a Video Tape done by MVCC
- 10/26/91 Mabel Creager Barnes & Henrietta Clunet Light Great reminiscences about Harman school when it was in the Green Barn; Mabel is sister of Earl D. Creager the contractor, daughter of Walter Creager the Constable; Henrietta is niece of the Parrotts and was on the first staff at the high school. Great personal stories.
Interviews by Harry Ebeling & Everett Yowell
- 5/31/97 Bob Brundrett
- 2/12/98 Katherine Virginia Mack
Interview by Harry Ebelng
- 6/20/92 John & Jane (Gray) Olt
- 3/18/98 Herbert Whalen, Jr. Tells some of the story of early Schantz Plat and his family; father also interviewed (above)
Interview by Oakwood High School Class in 2004; transcribed by Harry Ebeling Re: WW II experiences
- Bill James
- Almar Fraley
Presentation to Historical Society; transcribed by Harry Ebeling
- 10/22/74 Ivonette Wright Miller Niece of the Wright brothers; knew them, their sister, and the family well; was one of the first women to fly; familiar story but authentic.
More interviews (not transcribed):
- Robert Nevin
- Edith & Carl Beacham
- Ed Koehanen
- Catherine, Ruth, Bill, and Robert Hadler
- Bill Huffman
- Henrietta Light
- Fred Rieger
- Mabel Barnes and Earl Creager
1947 Far Hills Avenue | Oakwood, OH | 45419