Get our volunteer packet here!
Oakwood Ohio is a special place, distinctive with its tree-lined streets, historical architecture, and strong sense of community. Please join The Oakwood Historical Society in its mission of preserving the past, present and future of the Oakwood Community.
Academic Decathalon, Summer 2011
Opportunities and activities include:
- Research and outreach – As your local historical society we strive to protect and share Oakwood’s history. We do this by researching neighborhoods, publishing walking tours, conducting oral histories, and gathering historical photographs and papers from private collections - fascinating and gratifying activities for the history enthusiast.
- Children’s Programs – Introducing children to the wonderful world of history is fun and rewarding. Consequently, our year-round, hands-on Children’s Programs have been extremely popular and always in high demand. Every child should experience the past!
- Education – Don’t miss our Far Hills Speaker Series. We partner with Wright Memorial Public Library to host local speakers highlighting the history of Oakwood and Dayton. In October, join us for our annual Walking Tour Program. Each year we feature one of Oakwood’s local neighborhoods - enjoy the crisp cool air as you experience the history and architecture of Oakwood. And, as a member of the historical society you will receive our newsletters that feature articles about Oakwood’s unique past.
- Fundraisers and Events – We hope you'll join us for our May Wine Tasting or come by in August for our annual car show, Classics on the Lawn. You won’t want to miss our Holidays at the Homestead in December - it’s a great way to ring in the holidays! These are just a few of our annual events held at the Long-Romspert Homestead. We look forward to seeing you and hope you’ll bring a friend.
- Gardening and Cooking – The next time you are driving South on Far Hills, before you get to the business district, look up to the right and see our beautiful Homestead and gardens. The gardens and grounds of the Long-Romspert Homestead are nurtured and cared for by volunteers - a year-round labor of love! Stroll around to the back and you will see the original Summer Kitchen which proudly boasts a working wood-fired stove. You can almost smell the bread baking!
- Long-Romspert Homestead & Museum Restoration– Beautiful old homes require tender loving care, and our House Museum is no exception. The Long-Romspert Homestead is one of only three individually-listed buildings in Oakwood on the National Register of Historic Places. She tells the story of Oakwood’s development starting in 1863 through 1923. We can always use additional help in maintaining and restoring our Homestead. What a grand old dame she is!
1947 Far Hills Avenue | Oakwood, OH | 45419